Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Personal Best

I wish I could tell you about being my personal best as a mother, wife, or friend. Unfortunately, this is not the case. But while I am working on that, let me tell you about my new personal half-marathon record.


I am definitely NOT a friend of road running races. Especially not in Utah, where they all tend to be more or less downhill. That said, I was still really excited to run in the Salt Lake 1/2 marathon for a few reasons:
  • I got a complimentary race entry from the SLRC. How could I pass up a free race?
  • My friend Carlee was racing. I love racing with friends. Friday night was like a girls' night out and Saturday was a party!
  • Flat and/or downhill = fast. And that's always fun!


Highlights:
  • Feeling good rather than sick
  • Being able to push myself but not too hard
  • Chatting with friend and pro triathlete Malaika
  • A new PR 1:29:53
  • My 6:51 pace
  • 17th out of 2886 women
  • Carlee's PR
  • Chocolate milk and Creamies at the finish
Lowlights:
  • Boredom. Running on asphalt through a city is just not my kind of fun.
  • A 2-mile uphill stretch right at the end
  • Invisible mile markers
  • A 13-year-old dude running alongside me for the last 5 miles
Although I might actually consider the last one a highlight. I mean, really, this kid was great. Check it out. He does not even look like a runner. I was kind of glad though when he ran out of steam at the end. I was definitely NOT going to sprint to the finish line just so I could beat him. I think that's totally lame.


Now it is high time to get my cycling back. No more running escapades for a while. My focus is on triathlon.


6 comments:

Cat and Blake Potter said...

WAY TO GO!!!!!! Haha I love the picture with that kid, and I love that you wouldn't let him beat you cause that "would have been totally lame," haha you're funny!

Elena Jarvis Jube said...

Awesome job, Sarah! But I'm not sure why you call yourself a non-runner when you win races even while sick. I'm excited for you to win the Woman of Steel tri. Finishing alive is all I hope to do.

wilson4 said...

I love the picture with the kid. Great job!

Jamie Pearson said...

Hey good job. Wow running for over an hour doesn't sound like fun. I would love to be in shape like you but man running for that long....well who knows maybe one day. Oh yeah the kid in the picture totally doesn't look like a runner gotta love his outfit

Nate + Carlee said...

I can't believe THAT'S the kid you were talking about! Crazy! You did so awesome, and I have to agree with your lowlights (the mile markers drove me CRAZY!) You definitely made the race more fun for me though- I'm so glad you were able to come!

Smart Helm said...

Way to go! You can never pass up a free race...