Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Man


Karl in Arches NP - one of our favorite places

Posts like this one are not my favorite but I feel like giving credit where credit is due. So why not throw in a wedding picture as well?

December 2004, Timpanogos Temple

Karl has been working extremely hard the last 12 months to make his dream of getting a PhD come true. It is one of those dreams that take a leap of faith, an honest effort, and a lot of dedication. So far he has put countless hours into researching programs, writing proposals, applying, and contacting possible advisors.

Snowshoeing over Lightening Ridge

All the hard work is definitely paying off. Karl applied to 3 universities and got accepted to all 3 programs. Not simply accepted. They all really want him to come and work with them. It's a nice change from applying to dozens of jobs in the past few years and never getting positive feedback. Unfortunately, he was not able to get the International Scholarship from the University of Queensland in Australia. We really would have loved to live in Brisbane for a few years. Maybe for his postdoc? We have not given up hope quite yet. Especially since one of the professors did invite him to come over for a few weeks to work with her lab. I told Karl that there is no way he is going over there without me, so I'd better start saving some money.

Karl the Domestique

Maybe I can get Karl to write a post about what is going to be doing at NAU. In simple terms. I have a general idea but I am no expert and definitely don't want to say anything wrong. All I know is that he is extremely smart and knows his stuff. Believe me, I read one of his proposals and it about blew me away.

I also know that he is choosing this route so he can make a difference in this crazy world. It might not be big but we both agree that, in the end, Karl needs a job that
  • provides for our family
  • enables him to spend quality time with our family
  • makes his life better and also the life of those he is serving

Karl and Noah on a backpacking adventure

I am still struggling with a few things, but I can honestly say that I am very confident in Karl and that I am going to fully support him in this endeavor. I am preparing myself to make some sacrifices, as long as nothing affects my training and racing :-)

Congratulations, Karl!
You are the best!
We love you!

4 comments:

Jamie Pearson said...

Great job Karl. I'm sure you will love whatever it is you will be doing and Sarah just think of all the fun new adventures ahead of you. oh and when are you guys supposed to be leaving?

kar jar said...

Thanks Sarah! You're the best wife ever!

Cat and Blake Potter said...

nice post, goodluck with everything coming in your near future!!

Diana said...

what a sweet post Sarah.