I am definitely NOT a friend of road running races. Especially not in Utah, where they all tend to be more or less downhill. That said, I was still really excited to run in the Salt Lake 1/2 marathon for a few reasons:
- I got a complimentary race entry from the SLRC. How could I pass up a free race?
- My friend Carlee was racing. I love racing with friends. Friday night was like a girls' night out and Saturday was a party!
- Flat and/or downhill = fast. And that's always fun!
- Feeling good rather than sick
- Being able to push myself but not too hard
- Chatting with friend and pro triathlete Malaika
- A new PR 1:29:53
- My 6:51 pace
- 17th out of 2886 women
- Carlee's PR
- Chocolate milk and Creamies at the finish
- Boredom. Running on asphalt through a city is just not my kind of fun.
- A 2-mile uphill stretch right at the end
- Invisible mile markers
- A 13-year-old dude running alongside me for the last 5 miles
Although I might actually consider the last one a highlight. I mean, really, this kid was great. Check it out. He does not even look like a runner. I was kind of glad though when he ran out of steam at the end. I was definitely NOT going to sprint to the finish line just so I could beat him. I think that's totally lame.
Now it is high time to get my cycling back. No more running escapades for a while. My focus is on triathlon.