Friday, April 23, 2010

I want my life back



Tonight at dinner Karl says:

"I think we should just let Mama go to bed so she can read all night and hopefully finish her book."

That is how we all feel.

This is why I try to avoid reading books.

I can't stop.

I am reading while looking at books with Max. I am reading while we are having family dinner. I am reading while brushing my teeth. I am reading while Karl is talking to me. I am reading although I am supposed to be cleaning the kitchen floor. I am reading on my bike.

I am driving myself (and my family) crazy.

It's only been 2 days. I have 200 pages to go. I may have to return the book before I am done. I am not sure we will make it.

Why am I like this?

I am an all-or-nothing kind of person. Not in all things, but in a lot. I read 24/7 or not at all. I eat all the cookies or none. I take exercising to an extreme. I hate leaving things unfinished.

I think it has to do with one of my mom's favorite sayings:

Either you do something right
or you don't do it at all.

This book is definitely worth the sacrifice. I think. I don't care for fiction much. Definitely don't like science-fiction. Never enjoyed fairy tales. Love autobiographies. They are my favorite. Especially the ones written by athletes.

Getting to know Andre Agassi is amazing. I grew up watching him play tennis on TV at my grandma's and had no idea what life was like for him. He has an unbelievable story to tell and I can't wait to read all about it.


4 comments:

Smart Helm said...

I totally understand the book thing. Emily once said she could justify anything when she was reading. I am the same way. Justify not cleaning, not going to work on time, not getting to church on time (!) and basically not doing anything but reading my book. I hope u finish it soon!

Jamie Pearson said...

I'm always looking for good books so thanks for sharing I will have to find it. I hope you get it finished before you have to return in =)

kar jar said...

It's good to know you actually heard my comment, considering you had been rather occupied with Mr. Agassi for most of dinner. :)

Emily Nice said...

hee hee hee =) Nope. Never done that. Not me. well maybe once or twice...