Saturday, August 15, 2009

Summer Corn

Another thing we love about summer is corn. While I shuck it, Max and Noah love to eat it raw. As you can tell, they also like the color orange.


The best corn grows in Grandpa Don's yard. Great-Grandpa Karl was a farmer and professional corn breeder and passed his knowledge and talent on to his son. Grandpa's corn makes Max very happy. It actually keeps him occupied and in one spot for more than 2.6 seconds.


For best results: boil corn on the cob for 3 minutes only! This rule is taken very seriously in the Jarvis family. But I have to admit that it gives you the most delicious corn.


Karl decided that, even without a yard, we could still have a little garden. So he got some pots, soil, and other various things and planted one tomato, two cucumber, and two melon plants. I loved the idea but was a little skeptical. But, check it out, the plants are doing pretty well and we have actually harvested quite a few yummy tomatoes and delicious cukes. We mostly eat them right off the plant. So tasty!


Max loves the bright red tomatoes. So far, he has been able to get a hold of almost every single one and squeezed it in his hand before we had a chance to salvage it. Noah decided Max thinks it is a ball.


We also finally have some little melons that a growing a little each day. We can't wait! Thanks, Karl. I can't wait to have a garden big enough for Karl to grow corn.

3 comments:

Jamie Pearson said...

Wow that corn looks really good. Maybe I should get some this week. I have decided that my garden hates me. For some reason it is struggling, well it was until i put miracle grow on it. Is that cheating? I'm glad your's is doing so well. Fresh tomatoes are the best! Oh and I like the color Orange too

JessWilson said...

Yummy! Love fresh corn. Thanks for sharing the 3 minute boiling rule....i definitely over boil but will try just 3 minutes next time. And way to go Karl on the garden - it look great!

Smart Helm said...

That is wonderful. I have to admit corn is not my favorite, but I like it when others make it for me :-)

Great job in the garden department. I bet ur big garden will be even better!