Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Passing on the Love



Karl and I love to bike.
In my book
biking = freedom.
So, naturally, we want to share that love with our kids.
I think so far we have been pretty successful.

I want to share our story with you:

Before making any other baby-related purchase,
we found a great deal on a single Chariot
and could not pass it up.
It's the best way to take your kid with you,
whether it is running, biking, or skiing.


Just before Noah turned 3,
he started using his balance bike.
We bought a wooden Skuut but that kid
got so crazy on this bike that it broke in half.
We screwed and glued it back together but it was not the same.


A couple of months before Noah's 4th birthday,
Karl got this tiny bike (12 1/2 inch) for $5.
So he took Noah around the block on it and - voila-
Noah was pedaling away on his own.
He was ready for his first race...


Max came along and although Noah was pretty
proficient on his bike,
he could not quite keep up at all times.
So we bought a double Chariot.
Noah would ride his bike and when he got tired,
we threw the bike in the back and he jumped into the trailer.


Then Karl found a 16-inch bike in the dumpster,
but it was too big and so we traded his brother for this 14-inch.
We are thinking Noah was about 4 1/2.


I always wanted a bike seat.
I know they are not as safe as a trailer
but they just seem more fun!
I think this was $20 on Craigslist.
When I did not want Max to fall asleep,
I would put him in the seat.
I was still pulling the trailer most of the time
to carry all our stuff.


We got balance bike #2.
Max started riding it much earlier than Noah.
Right after his 2nd birthday.
He's very good on it and has quite the bike-handling skills.


Shortly after Noah's 5th birthday,
some friends gave us their 16-inch bike
and this time Noah was ready.
And he got even speedier.


Karl and I had talked about a trail-a-bike a lot
but were never quite sure about it.
But we finally found the right one for the right price
($40 on Craigslist)
and it has been great!
Max was skeptical at first because it's rather unstable.
But, like always, it just took some patience on our part
and now he loves it!
So do I!
I call him my 'rear-motor' and we just cruise along.
So fun!


For Noah's 6th birthday, we splurged.
(Thanks to grandparents.)
We bought him a brand-new 20-inch bike.
He was ready for a better and bigger bike and
nothing will hold him back now!


I just love to see their progress and how much joy it brings them!
I am not writing this post to brag about my kids or our gear.
It's just what we love to do!

But it's not just recreation.
It is also a way of living.
We commute by bike whenever possible.
Karl to NAU.
Noah to elementary school.
Max to preschool.
Sarah to the pool and gym.
All to everything else within biking distance.
And 'biking distance' keeps increasing.
Yay!



PS: So. If you have any bike-related questions, feel free to ask. I am no expert but I do have some experience and a very bike-savvy husband. Having a bike mechanic in the family definitely helps!






4 comments:

Jamie Pearson said...

Can you just pass those bikes onto Kade??? We are getting him a balance bike for Christmas but the poor kid has such short legs. Oh and I think you got Noah his first bike for his 2nd birthday because I remember taking it down to Moab and he couldn't reach the ground yet and his cousins were pushing him around. And I think its awesome that you guys bike everywhere I wish we could!

ff familie fuerniss said...

Hye ihr seit MEINE FAMILIE! Ich würde zwar nie beaupten, dass wir so sportlich wären wie ihr, aber es macht einfach Spaß mit dem Radanhänger rumzufahren und so oft es geht benutzen wir ihn auch. Lynn liebt genauso wie deine Jungs ihr Laufrad. Ich bin froh gleich den doppelten coozer gekauft zu haben, man hat ja echt immer auch viel Gepäck. Ich hoffe der Winter wird nicht zu hart, dass wir noch viel Fahrrad fahren können. Gaaanz viel Spaß weiterhin für euch!! Ihr seit echt super!

Emily Nice said...

I'm so impressed with all the biking you can do together. Having a bike mechanic in the family is definately a plus! My older brothers put together many bikes for us younger siblings (I don't think I had a new bike until my 10th bday which I only had for a couple of months- it broke going over jumps- but my brother saved some parts and fixed up a different one so I could still get around). I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed biking until I borrowed my roommates while my car was in the shop last month. I loved biking all over my mission so maybe the next time my brother is in town I'll have him fix my bike.

Smart Helm said...

I need a mechanic in my family.