Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fall Camping


Somewhere near Beaver Creek

It did not quite go as planned. But what in life does? Unfortunately, I am about the least flexible person I know but I am trying...


We left late on Friday, got stuck in traffic forever, did not realize it was fall break down in the valley, and my worst fears came true: the campground was full. Craptastic! Take a deep breath and ... find some dispersed camping. Should not be too hard, right? Well, it was not. Except that I was pretty grumpy. While getting packed up and the food ready, I kept telling myself: "This is worth it. Once you get there, you can just sit back, watch the kids play, and relax." Not so much. We found a good spot but had to carry our stuff a little ways. Schlepping stuff back and forth, setting up camp, taking it down the next morning, moving to the campground, setting it up again, taking it down again = one not so happy camper. Thanks for putting up with me, Karl!


The first night was pretty nice, actually. We had random snacks for dinner in the dark at 6:30. Then we just hung out on the red rocks and watched the amazing star show in the sky. I saw 3 shooting stars, just a few minutes apart, and was (almost) reconciled with the world. I am pretty sure I was asleep at 8 pm.

Breakfast was eaten bright and early.




Digesting all that yummy oatmeal.


Then Noah (on his bike) and Karl (by foot)
went a few miles down the road
to secure us a spot in the campground.
I was longing for a toilet, a table, and a campfire.
Karl couldn't care less...

I was trying to get Max to do some exploring
but he wasn't interested in moving much.



After loading up the car (again),
my grumpiness returned.
Karl sent me on a run
and I obliged happily.
When I returned 2 hours later,
camp was set up and the boys were playing.
Really, what am I complaining about?


Then we were off to Buddha Beach.
Great little hike.
Perfect swimming hole.
I am in heaven.



Sand angels.


My barefoot hikers.



We even found a 'diving' board!




Although freezing, I could not resist!




While Karl went on a run,
I made some delicious dutch oven dinner
and the boys found sticks for jousting.
We capped off a great day with a fire and s'mores.
We even had our very own pet.
A skunk.
He showed up about every 2 minutes...

We started Sunday morning with
hot chocolate and marshmallows.
Why not?




Then
Max and I explored Beaver Creek.
Noah and Karl went mountain biking.




The End.


PS: We are not going inactive, we are just taking advantage of 1:30 pm church...







4 comments:

Smart Helm said...

Man, that is some beautiful country!

wilson4 said...

Looks fun! Does Noah have a new bike? I realized two days ago that I somehow totally spaced yours and Noah's birthday this year! What kind of friend am I? Happy Belated Birthday!

JessWilson said...

Wow, looks like fun and I love all the pictures you guys took! :)

B Lowry said...

Looks fantastic! The boys look so big!Miss you lots!