Friday, December 18, 2009

Inside Fun

Winter and I are not best friends.

Today when I complained about winter, Karl said: "You DON'T like winter except for the times when you DO like winter."
I said: "That's right. But most of the time I DON'T like it."
I used to love winter. It meant snow shoeing, skiing, ice climbing, and cuddling up to read a good book.
Now, with two wild boys, I dread winter. I still love the fun parts of it like sledding, building snowmen, winter walks, drinking hot chocolate. But day to day life is just hard. It get's dark too early, we need too many layers of clothing, we can't be outside all day and get our jiggles out, and I don't like being cold. We still have lots of fun but it takes a lot of planning and planning makes me tired.

Here are a few pictures of our Sunday afternoon adventure.


My aunt Iris is the best. When we gotback to the cars, she opened up her trunk and inside we found Christmas cookies and hot cider. Just what we needed.


We warmed our hands and bellies while Noah cruised around the parking lot on his bike. There was plenty of ice, snow, and mud to make it lots of fun and forget the cold.


When we are hanging out at home, this is what we do:
lots of Papa-wrestling


reading and laughing with aunt Emily


playing with homemade play dough


gymnastics with Opa Leo


looking at pictures with Oma Evi and cousin Lynn


Here I am trying to get a picture of all three of them but Noah would not budge and is showing off his special camera 'smile'.


Tomorrow I am sending all the boys sledding in the mountains. Although I love sledding and hate shopping, it would be good to have some presents under the Christmas tree. And to be honest, I need a break!

3 comments:

Jamie Pearson said...

I don't like the cold either and can't wait for winter to be over. Hey we better work on Noah's special camera face before I come take pictures of your kids =) It is a pretty funny face though.

Emily Nice said...

how cold is it there? I can see snow on the ground, and you guys are sure bundled up! Sorry winter is so hard! Good luck on your shopping. Thats one of my least favorite things.

amberkei said...

I agree. Winter is so much harder with kids. I like going outside, but I have to pull really hard at that something inside me wanting to just can the whole thing. But, kids don't care...they just want to play outside all the time!