Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day Off

Karl gave me a great Birthday present. A coupon. But not just any old coupon. A coupon for 4 Saturdays off. That means I get to do anything I want to do for however long I want to do it. Karl knows me well. It is the best present ever.

So a few Saturdays ago, I decided to go cross-country skiing by myself. I had planned on going to Soldier Hollow because I love that place but they were actually hosting the Junior Winter Olympics and I did not quite fit in. So I went to Sundance instead and it was gorgeous as well.


I ended up skiing for 2.5 hours and I loved every minute of it. I really enjoy skate skiing and wish I was better at it. One of those sports you should pick up as a child if you want to get really good at it. But back then I preferred downhill and thought cross-country was boring. I wish I would have known better. Actually, if we had the money, I would probably still be skiing downhill quite a bit. But we don't.

That same morning, Karl was getting a little jealous, I guess. He suggested that we could all go up there, but he would take care of the kids and pull them in the Chariot. I said: "No way!!"
I really love my family but I also really love having a break every once in a while. I did not want to deal with getting them (and all their gear) ready, entertaining them in the car while driving there, and then worrying about them having fun up there. Because when I take some time off, I don't like to worry about them one bit. And I usually don't. I don't even think of them (much).


Last Saturday, Soldier Hollow gave out free passes as part of the Heber Valley WinterFest. Thanks to our friends, Anna and Nate, we heard about it late Friday night and changed our plans from snowshoeing without kids to skiing with kids. Max was pretty sick anyway and I would have felt bad leaving him with Karl's mom. But I guess I did not feel bad schlepping him up there, making him take his nap in the Chariot, and having him play in the snow. Oh well, he is better now.

Karl had already gotten a really long run in that morning and so he volunteered to pull the Chariot. That means he had to do classic while I got to do skating. I am not a big fan of classic. It feels more like hiking to me whereas skating feels like running. Karl says, it's because I don't know how to classic ski very well. I disagree.

Either way I had a fantastic time. It was one of those times where you want to scream at the top of your lungs because you feel so exhilarated to be out in nature and to be exercising. You feel free and happy. The Cherry Chubs know what I am talking about. I wish you could have been there.

Noah improved is skiing skills as well and then we had a bog bowl of chili and some yummy corn bread at Anna and Nate's house.

I love my life.

5 comments:

Jamie Pearson said...

So fun wish i could be there. I'm sure Max didn't mind being pulled in the chariot he sleeps so well in there.

Smart Helm said...

Wow. That sounds like a good break. And as for skating.... Ask Emily if it helps learning when you are little. I never did jump on the bandwagon in my family of doing the cross-country ski thing. But boy were they awesome! And man, can you move when you skate. My brother is so fast.

Emily thinks classic is boring too. I have no opinion :-)

WARNERS said...

I know exactly what you mean! I'm so happy you got to have such an awesome break. You deserve it! It certainly wouldn't have been as exhilarating if you weren't a mom the rest of the time. Even though it is hard to be constantly needed by your children, it sure makes the breaks feel wonderful! We do have it good, don't we?!

Courtney said...

I heart you! I can't wait until our next outdoor adventure and screaming at the top of our lungs "It's a Beautiful Day, don't let it get away!"

Emily Nice said...

Happy days! I love skating. not so much the classicing, but its still fun to get outside no matter what you're doing. For me its working in the garden. I love digging in the dirt and using my shovel. whoo hoo!