Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mr. Speedo

Usually there are at least 6 of us in a lane. Today it was just me and Mr. Speedo. Where was everyone else? Maybe they whimped out after we already got our butt kicked Monday and Wednesday. I usually whimp out.* But not this week. Or next week. Or the week after that. It is swim month! Because who wants to run in the nation's worst air? Or on a tread mill? Or on an indoor track? Not me! At least not a lot, so I am focusing on swimming instead. January is a good month to do that.

Jack and Jill Triathlon '09

Who knew that there are swimmers in this country who wear Speedos just for fun? I did not until yesterday. For a brief moment I thought I was back in Germany... Anyway, here is how today's practice went down:

After a few meters in the pool, I know I am going to die today. My arms feel like they have already swum 7000m this week and 1400 of those with paddles (yesterday). They also painfully remind me that I took a 8 week hiatus from swimming (more or less) while in G. Why did I do that??? So I am really hoping for some lane mates to draft behind. But no one comes. Except for Mr. Speedo who must have joined the squat while I was gone.

By the time we are done with the warm-up set my arms are definitely gone. Who does sprints for warm-up anyway. Luckily we get to kick for 800 meters and I find out that Mr. Speedo has a name. Dan. He is not a triathlete. What? Why would he be swimming if he is not training for a triathlon? Who swims just to swim? It's not THAT fun. He used to swim in high-school and wants to get back in shape. Aha. Great. He gets to lead. Our conversation only lasts 2 seconds because I can't kick as slowly as he does. It's my arms after all that are weak, not my legs. Maybe I will lead after all...

Echo Triathlon '09

Our main set: 4 * (8*25, 1*100, 4*50, 1*100)

The 100s are fast. Too fast for me today. I won't tell you how fast though, so you can't make fun of me. So after the first 8*25, I ask Dan: "You wanna lead the 100?" He says: "Yep." I say: "Great. GO!" He says: "WHAT?" In a very high-pitched voice and goes. I realize that he misunderstood my question and, in fact, does NOT want to lead. I never get to apologize because there is no time to talk. I don't feel too bad either.

During the first round we both realize that I should be leading after all but I don't want to. So when Mr. Speedo asks during our 20 second break, I suggest: "Why don't we swim next to each other?" It's a brilliant idea because I don't have to lead but I also don't have to feel bad about drafting the whole time. He does not like the idea too much (I think) but the 20 seconds are up and off we go. My idea works out really well because having him right there makes me push harder than I would otherwise. Except for the one time when I fall back a little and had his Speedo right in my face. I tried even harder to keep up after that.

Our conversation during round 2:
Me: "I think Coach is trying to kill us."
Mr. Speedo: "Me too."

After round 2 I tell Coach: "I need to put on fins."
He replies: "You don't need them."
I say: "I know. But I want to have a good run today, too."
He lets me put them on.

I don't care what Mr. Speedo thinks. I do the 8*25 and feel recovered. Recovered enough that I decide to get my act together and ditch the fins. I also don't want to let my only lane mate down. So I take them off. Just then I realize that Mr. Speedo put his on. Dang. I try to slip mine back on but there is not enough time... Go! I suck it up and do my best. I manage to do the fastest 100 so far. Sweet.

Coach calls it quits after round 3. Mr. Speedo and I high-five. Cool-down. I am pretty happy with my effort and think it made me just a little stronger. I can't wait for next week. It was also a good reminder that it's not only in your arms but in your head, too.

Mr. Speedo may think I am a nut. Who cares?

* Maybe that's because I have two other disciplines I need to work on. Maybe it's because I can't handle that much swimming. Who knows.

5 comments:

Jamie Pearson said...

Nice story. at first you made me want to swim but then after reading i decided that I wasn't missing much. So when is that next kid going to come if you are preparing for more races? =)

Smart Helm said...

I shore love your blog. You always make me laugh! This is why I don't swim with the masters (besides that this is the month EVERYONE and their dog decides to take up swimming as their New Years Resolution)... I swim with Melissa cuz I can at least beat the pregnant lady :-).(my mother said if her belly was shaped like a keel it might work better) Go Sarah!

Elena Jarvis Jube said...

I'm hating swimming this January, because, yeah, those darn New Year's Resolutions make the pool so crowded. Sounds like Mr. Speedo might be part of that crowd. It drives me crazy. Hopefully by February everybody will start slacking again. Go back to being sedentary, everybody, please!

I wish I could swim in the early morning with you (I would make everyone else feel so good). Too bad it's too hard with the school schedule. Oh, well. I just run in the smog. But I'm starting to cough - I wonder if one has something to do with the other.

Leslie said...

Nice Job Sarah! I put my swimming month in last month, haven't been as good this month.
You're so funny: "Mr Speedo". I would've thought you'd be very accustomed to speedos coming from Germany. Wanna know a secret (that I'm putting out there in cyberspace, I know)? On the right body type, I like Speedos! I'm a swimmer, what can I say :)

wilson4 said...

I'm glad you can write about your workouts in a light hearted way. It's good not to take ourselves too seriously. Sometimes I wish I could swim with you, but then I remember I don't swim. Maybe some year I'll make it my New Years Resolution.