Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My First Pioneer Trek



I always thought that pioneer trek reenactments would be a cool thing to be a part of but hadn't had a chance until this June, when I got to go with a church group. Many of my ancestors came to Utah as Mormon pioneers, so I wanted to know how I'd hold up in similar conditions (well, not THAT similar). Many LDS youth get a chance to go on a pioneer trek with their stakes (a group of congregations), but somehow I missed out when I was a teen. So when I was asked to participate* in a pioneer trek as an 'adult child' to help guide and encourage youth, I had no second thoughts in helping out.

Since we were out of town when they trained adult leaders, I didn't hear about any details on what to bring and when it started until a couple days before. Fortunately we got back in time, and some kind ward members dug up a wide-brimmed hat and suspenders** for me.


I made it to the start of the trek just one day after getting back to Flagstaff and joined up with my trek family. Since there were a couple hundred youth and leaders there, it was nice to spend the time with a relatively small group. The families consisted of a Ma and Pa, male and female 'adult children', and ten or so kids. That setup reminded me of a youth wilderness treatment program - a bunch of teens, enough adults to (hopefully) handle them, not very much stuff (e.g. no therm-a-rests or the like), and a long way to go.

Since neither you nor I want a whole book about the trip, here are a few facts and figures and guesses and opinions:

Youth in the whole trek: 250-ish
Youth in my 'family': 9
Hours pushing handcarts the first day: 12
Miles we traveled the first day: 15 (43 in feels-like miles)


Weight of loaded handcart: uhh, 25-ish lbs/person for 13 people + camp chef stove + food + water + heavy duty metal/wood handcart = super heavy thing
Time we got into camp the first day: midnight
Random crazy long nosebleeds for one of the youth in my family: 3
Youth in our family (and the others we were aware of) that sat down and refused to go further: 0


Complaining heard the first day: lots and lots
Complaining heard the last day: none-ish
Increase in respect gained for pioneers: 783%

Of course we all learned to appreciate and sort of despise modern stuff that we rely on so much, but aside from that the trip was incredibly motivating and inspirational. It changed my life.

Get yourself on one of these things.

I vote this guy to be the most handsome pioneer


* Sarah was asked to participate too, so we had to do a round of rock-paper-scissors to decide who got to go. Well, not actually rock-paper-scissors. I just wanted to go more than she did.

(Note from the editor: I wanted to go just as much as he did. I mean, who would not choose hiking, camping, suffering, growing spiritually over playing single-parent of 2 wild boys for 4 days??? But sometimes I am nice. And I felt like I had my share of fun taking little trips whilewe were in Utah. And I was worried they were going to let us go hungry...)

** I actually didn't mind the suspenders as much as I thought I would. They made me think of bib shorts. Not the lycra, just the over-the-shoulder part... I digress.





1 comment:

Smart Helm said...

Trek is awesome. Glad u got to go and hope Sarah can go sometime too!