Thursday, June 30, 2011

Perfect Spot On Our Way Home



We decided to break up our long drive home. Originally, we were planning on camping for a couple of days but seeing how Karl needed to go on the pioneer trek Wednesday morning we thought it would be smart to be home by Tuesday night. And I certainly was not ready to leave any earlier than Monday morning.


We took a nice break in Cedar City and then headed up the canyon to see what we would we find. We stopped at a spot near Duck Creek called Lava Flats and it turned out to be perfect for a quick over-night stop.


It was beautiful, quiet, sunny, and next to a trail. Just right for us! So we set up camp, ate dinner, and went on a little exploration.


The boys were thrilled that it was an ATV trail. Max could not get over the fact that the sign said ATVs were allowed. He loved checking out all the ATV tracks. We did not ever see any ATVs much to the chagrin of the boys but Karl and I prefer it that way.


Then, of course, we had to have a camp fire. Karl and I are not big fans of camp fires but with two little boys there is no way around it. The place had plenty of dry wood and even a fire pit. Max was rather interested in putting out the fire as soon as we had it going and with no marshmallows to roast, we called it a night soon and went to sleep.



Karl went out for an early morning run and, while my boys ate breakfast, I got ready to hit the roads on my bike to see how far I could get before they would catch me in the car.


Although my bike looks rather out of place in the below picture, I only had to push it for a minute until I was on a very smooth, perfectly quiet road. I loved biking up in those mountains and then down into the next valley. I made it almost to Kanab before getting caught and after some ice cream I was happy to sit in the car for the next few hours.





No comments: