Sunday, December 19, 2010

Advent in Flagstaff



Before heading to Utah tomorrow morning, I wanted to let you know that we have been having a lovely December so far. We started decorating our little fir tree right after Thanksgiving and have been able to add many homemade ornaments since. The boys are excited to have a big Christmas tree at Grandma's house but, I have to say, this one is very convenient with DestructoBoy around.


It was super cold for a while and the boys loved making ice, bringing it in, and smashing it with screwdriver and hammer. What? That is not one of your holiday traditions?

In case you are worried, it is just face paint!


I am not really good and following through with all the traditions I would like our family to have, but this one is a must! The Adventskalender. 24 presents. One for each day in December until Christmas. I loved having one as a kid. I would love having one now if someone made one for me... I was hoping to be able to hang them all up, so the boys would know how many days were left until Christmas. But Max cannot handle seeing anything even remotely looking like a present without having to open it immediately. So I have resigned myself to bringing one out every morning for them to open.


Yes. We have a fireplace. It has been covered up by a book shelf for a while, but Noah did not forget. So one Saturday afternoon the boys went into the forest, gathered some wood, and made a fire! They were thrilled.



We roasted some marshmallows and enjoyed the warmth. As you can tell, it is not very safe though and it stunk a lot. So now it is back behind the book shelf. It was fun while it lasted.



We are still in crafting mode. As you can tell.



Last weekend I enjoyed a Super Saturday! Early morning swim. Breakfast with the family. Lovely 60 mile bike ride with a big group in short sleeves! Library. Pita Pit. Northern Lights Parade downtown.


Karl joined us for dinner but was not able to stay for the parade. He had a big project due at midnight and the clock was ticking. He is now officially done with his first semester and deserves a nice break! Keep up the good work, Karl!

"Parade!"


The kids had a great time! We will definitely be better prepared next year. Chairs, blankets, hot chocolate, etc. I just was not quite sure what to expect...



Hope you are enjoying this wonderful season! Can't wait to see some of you next week! Let's play. A lot.



1 comment:

Smart Helm said...

Merry Christmas! I love fire. I'm driving through Flagstaff Thursday so I'll wave to ur house since ur in Provo :-)