Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Maple Canyon ...


... is where we went for Karl's birthday. It has become kind of a tradition to go someplace fun on that special day. I have realized that I am not good when it comes to presents but I love to plan and go on trips. So we left the boys with Grandma and Grandpa, enjoyed a delicious dinner at Rooster DNB, and headed down south.

The drive was actually enjoyable. It helps when you don't have to entertain two toddlers in the back seat. Just sitting and talking to Karl was nice. I even had time to take random pictures of my feet and the landscape.


Our itinerary: late night trail run, early morning trail run, mountain biking, and, of course, rock climbing. This canyon is famous for its awesome climbing routes and conglomerate rock. It was so much fun.


Since we did not know much about the climbing routes, we asked a family that looked like climbers. They were camped across the road and we had noticed their brand new Audi. Who drives camping on a dirt road in an Audi? We also noticed that they were in their spandex. Who wears spandex to go climbing? You might have guessed it already: they were Germans. Surprise! We ended up climbing on the same wall as them and had fun talking to them in Denglish (Deutsch + English = Denglish).


A few minutes later another couple in spandex walks down the trail and ... they were Austrians. There was still space on the wall and so we had a German-speaking party! Maple Canyon is definitely internationally known among climbers.


When we were not running, biking, or climbing, we were eating. Naturally. That is my kind of life: eat, train, sleep. Repeat.













Thank you, Karl, for being an amazing husband, father, and friend. We love being with you!

4 comments:

jaredandgina said...

Oh Maole Canyon! I love that place, I spent many a weekends there climbing with friends from SLC. So Fun!

Jamie Pearson said...

Happy Birthday Karl, even though I'm late because I think you have the same birthday as Jesse. Man we really need to do something with you guys. I miss you all!!

Elena Jarvis Jube said...

Happy birthday, Karl! Rats--I completely forgot and I'm so dang late. Lame. On the one-month anniversary of your birthday maybe we can celebrate again. Sounds like you had a great time, at least.

Smart Helm said...

I'm glad u guys got to do what you enjoy! I like the eating part :-)

Happy Birthday Karl!