Tuesday, March 31, 2009

First Race 2009 - my version

Thanks to Karl for the last post. I feel bad he had to miss the first highlight of his season - the Buffalo Run. He had been excited and training for it for months.

I, on the other hand, happened to see a sign for the Splash&Dash on Wednesday morning at the pool. I thought it would be a fun little "warm up" for the upcoming races and so I signed up (after I had found a babysitter). I have been lucky so far - no flu symptoms yet.

The truth:
I was not ready for it. I did not really care. I just wanted to see where I am at in my training. But it was true.
I am out of shape. I know, maybe not compared to some other people. But remember, being out of shape is relative. But it is hard and boring to train by yourself every day. I need training partners... Max (and Noah) in the Chariot don't count.
I am 10 lbs. over race weight. At least. I am not saying that I am fat. But all these extra pounds are not making me any faster. I am using nursing as an excuse but that won't last much longer.


(I threw this picture in here because I dislike posts without pictures. No, this is not the Splash&Dash. This is the Ironman I did in Germany in 2007. No 10 lbs extra here. It is the only picture I could find of myself racing (not on the bike). Sad, I know.)

Back to the Splash&Dash.

I had a blast. It was so fun to be back and racing after all this time. Also, it was just a little BYU race. No one knew who I was, so there was no pressure.
After my warm up routine (which I could barely remember), I told Emily that I was worn out already. That was honestly how I felt.
They started the race and everyone went off like crazy. I was afraid I might exit the pool close to last place. As usual, they were all bluffing and I managed to get out in second place. I felt as good during the swim as I hardly every do in a race. That was nice.
Passed the other girl right outside the pool and never looked back. I thought there would be some guys ahead but I never saw anyone and no one ever caught me. Kinda lonely but that is how I like it. I realized a while ago that the only way I ever win races is if I am in first place at the beginning of the run already. I am not sure what that means. Probably that I need to work on my running, so I can stay with girls when they pass me. Luckily, I did not have to worry about that on Saturday.
Noah and Karl were cheering for me at the finish. Cheerleader #3 could not have cared less. He was busy eating, as usual. Thanks, Emily, for taking such good care of my men.

The End. I am tired. I am going to bed. More sleep = less likely to get sick.

3 comments:

Melissa Bunn said...

Sarah you're amazing! Congrats on first place!

Smart Helm said...

Yup.. we all knew u were pretty awesome.

Jamie Pearson said...

Yeah GREAT JOB! Sorry I wasn't there to cheer you on. I think you should come over here and do some swimming races with me. I just found out about a bunch and I'm going to try some out. Oh yeah and Melissa and Melanie posting on this blog makes me happy because I took both of their pictures...haha I like when I see my pictures. Congrats!