Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bryce Canyon Family Fun



Remember how we did a little one-night camping stint in the desert on our way to Utah? On our way back we wanted to take the boys to Bryce Canyon and camp some more. So we did. And it was great! Except that it rained and was freezing the night we got there. Oh, and all the campsites were taken as well. Craptastic! The gracious campground host let us pitch our tent in a special place for one night and then we had to move the next day. Not ideal but better than nothing! 

My little kitchen helper and his hippo:


Of course there was a soccer game of some sorts going on:



Only the best for my bike. I went on a lovely ride (during which I had to dodge several cows) and when I was done my bike got to rest here:


For some reason this campsite wasn't ideal for the boys. Well, it wasn't ideal for soccer playing... Or maybe the boys just haven't been camping enough lately... But they had a hard time entertaining themselves, so in a moment of desperation I let them cut up my completely worn-out running shoes and turn them into Panther sleds. Or something like that: 


Thank you, Max, for this fantastic shot! I am pretty sure he wanted me to share it with all of you:


And here it is. Our stunning Bryce Canyon: 




Hiking down into it: 




And hiking back up. The kids had a great time! Although it wasn't Easter, I used the same trick as at the Grand Canyon to ensure that the hike would be a pleasant one without any complaining. We brought a few pieces of candy that we hid at different places on the way up. Score! 



Noah and Max are now old enough to be Junior Rangers and worked on another badge while in Bryce Canyon. They now have 3 and we are looking forward to many more!  

I am really hoping we can go on another camping trip when Karl gets back from Germany which isn't for another 8 weeks... or 8 days... Who cares. Either way it's really super duper long. 








No comments: