Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Everything but a Date with Karl



We had a great Valentine's Weekend around here. Karl and I have yet to go on a date this year but we spent quality time with the kids and as a family. Quality time is definitely my language of love! Karl knows that. This year I am counting his trip to the post office in order to send my Garmin in for repair and his putting my new (i.e. borrowed) cranks on my bike as my gifts. But Karl is so nice, he would have done both without it being Valentine's Day. Thank you! 

Friday evening was Noah's long awaited Kindergarten Valentine's Dance. I was his date and couldn't have been more proud. He chose a dress for me, I actually blow-dried my hair, and he put on his Sunday clothes. It was a big deal. But, of course, we did not take any pictures. Karl took Max on a little date and then they came and joined us for sugar-cookie decorating. What a fun night!

Saturday morning, while I was out training, Karl and the boys went to the local ski festival downtown. There clearly was not enough snow, but they had some stored in different places that they brought in. It sounded like a lot of fun except for the part where Max ate 4 hotdogs! 4?!?



In the afternoon it was time for the Agassiz Uphill Race. Always a lot of fun and Karl took 2nd overall. 
More about the race here


On Valentine's Day Karl was gone from 8am - 9pm. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and take the kids ice skating. They had free everything: skating, rentals, cake, and hot chocolate! Sign us up! We picked Noah up from school early which turned out to be a good move since putting skates on all 3 of us took about 15 hours. 


We took them once last year and once in January, so by now they are Pros. At least with their little walkers...


Of course Max skates kamikaze-style. I am lucky if he is going in the right direction and does not knock over more than 5 people per lap! That red helmet sure came in handy more than once! 


Mama! Look at me! I am as fast as a flash! 


Max wears himself out rather quickly. After 40 minutes he was ready for cake and hot chocolate. 


Noah, on the other hand, could've kept going forever. After cruising around with the walker for a little, he ditched it rather quickly and was determined to figure out how to skate on his own. 


He is usually not very patient with himself but today he surprised us all. He just kept falling, getting back up, falling, getting back up... while having a blast! It's great to see him so excited about learning new things that he did not think he could do!


As if skating forward in a straight line wasn't enough, he was working on his pirouettes and jumping skills. That's my kid! When I asked him if we should look into signing him up for ice hockey, he said: No, Mama. I want to be a figure skater
He's been wanting to go back every day since. 


Afterwards we enjoyed the little snow there is in Flagstaff right 
now, while hoping and praying for more! 



I successfully wore the kids out and they were in bed by 7
Apparently, I wore myself out as well because by the time Karl got home at 9, I was in bed too! 

Hope you had a great Valentine's Day as well! 






3 comments:

Emily Nice said...

ice skating was always one of my favorite winter activities as a kid... falls hurt a little more now that I'm bigger, but its still fun! Sounds like a really fun valentines day.

Smart Helm said...

I'd definitely go see Noah in a figure skating contest :-) looks like a great day.

Kylie said...

You have so much fun with your boys! I hope I can be as active with my kids :)