Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Birthday, Jeanette!



Since I know of more English-speaking friends reading my blog than German-speaking ones
and because you might be able to understand my English better than my German,
here we go in English.

Happy Birthday
To The Greatest Aunt in Berlin Ever!



Dear Jeanette,

I have many very fond memories of you. Although you have always lived many hours away, you have always been dear to my heart. Growing up, I loved having the chance to travel to Berlin and visit you and Dieter every year. I still can't believe that, starting at age 4, my parents just sat me in a plane and sent me off to your house. Actually, traveling solo as a kid was great fun. We got all kinds of fun toys and were able to check out the cockpit while talking to the pilots. Since them, I've been wanting to become a pilot.

I really enjoyed going with you to the German-Turkish preschool that you were directing. I still remember how to count in Turkish. To 3. And I loved riding the subway, tracks, and double-decker bus. You would give me all the comfort I needed and all the independence I wanted.


What better place to visit than Berlin? My visits broadened my horizon by miles and I could not believe all the museums, festivals, and cultural events that are taking place daily. I am so glad I was able to give Karl and Noah a little glimpse of your city in 2007 and really hope we get to visit again soon.

If it had not been for you and your research, I would have never had the opportunity to be an exchange student in the US. A million thanks! We definitely share some of the same I-want-to-see-the-world genes. Being homesick? What's that? You and Dieter inspire Karl and me with your travels all over the world. We know where to turn when in need of a travel guide. Whether we need info about South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Scandinavia, ..., or even our own backyard here in the US, you have plenty of experience to share and stories to tell. We can't wait to get together and spend days catching up on all your travel slides.


Until then, we hope you stay healthy and strong and keep us updated on your travel agenda. We send hugs and kisses over the ocean to you.

Love,
Sarah, Karl, Noah, and Max



No comments: