Thursday, September 19, 2013

Fresh Peach Pie


picture not taken by me. but this is what it looks like. 

Seeing how I was gone all weekend including Monday morning, the day of Karl's birthday, I felt a bit guilty. So I decided to make a pie and a cake for him. Really, I wanted to only make this pie but knew the kids wouldn't like it much if at all. I didn't want to disappoint them because I hardly ever bake, so I on top of the peach pie I made a gingerbread cake. Much better for putting candles in anyway...

This peach pie is heaven! I got the recipe from my dear friend, Mandy, who is an excellent cook and baker. (She made our wedding cake and it was gorgeous!) You really should try it. Especially now that peaches are in season. But beware: It's so good, you might want to eat the entire thing by yourself. Like I did.

I used to adapt recipes to make them healthier so I could feel ok about eating lots of it. I stopped doing that because it only gave me an excuse to eat more than I would've otherwise. Which isn't really any healthier. So I put all of the butter it asked for in this pie promising myself that I wouldn't eat any of it. Well, that backfired. While I didn't really eat the entire thing, I ate a good two thirds of it. Then I forced myself to stop and made Karl promise he would take the rest of it to school with him. Which he did. While it still tasted amazing, it didn't look very presentable, so Karl ate the rest of it by himself that afternoon. He didn't feel so hot on the track running that night...

I think this explains why I don't bake often. But next time I bake, I am going to make this pie again.


Cookie Crumb Pie Crust

1 c flour
1/2 c butter
1/4 c powdered sugar

Cut together just until crumbly. Press in pie plate or baking pan. Bake 5-6 minutes. Poke holes with fork. Finish baking until golden brown. 


Fresh Peach Pie

7 large peaches 
1 c sugar (I only use 1/2)
3 T cornstarch
1/2 c water
dash salt
1 t almond extract
1 T butter

Slice 4 peaches into pie shell. Mash 3 soft peaches. Add sugar, cornstarch, water, and salt. Bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Add extract and butter. Pour over peaches in pie shell. Refrigerate until served. 
Optional: Cover with whipped cream.





2 comments:

Jamie Pearson said...

i have a very similar recipe and its the best thing ever. maybe I should make one...thanks for the idea

Telitaadams said...

It looks wonderful! I'd love to give it a try next summer! Happy birthday, Karl!