Sunday, June 7, 2009

Racing Season '09

So far, this season has been really good. I have done 4 races and have been able to stand on top of the podium 4 times. Yeah!


I am still far from where I could be and would like to be but, I guess, I'll take it. But I really need to get my act together...
Link
Having nice gear always helps, though. And, thanks to Salt Lake Running Company, I have plenty of it. Unfortunately, in January when they ordered our stuff, I had big plans and was hoping to be back in shape by May. Well, I am not. So most of the beautiful stuff they sent is just sitting in the closet waiting to be worn for the first time. My fault. Should have ordered a bigger size. Maybe next season.

Luckily, the backpack fits! Noah loves the pink. So do I.









These are the fanciest running shoes I have ever owned. I love them. They are so comfortable, really light, and super fast to put on. Sadly, I only get to wear them on race day. If they were not so expensive, I would get myself a pair just to wear around. Okay, not really, I am not that goofy.







This is what came in the mail last week! Two new pair of ASICS training shoes. Courtesy of SLRC. Wow! I am slowly catching up to Karl when it comes to the number of running shoes owned. Now I am only, like, 10 pair behind.













After the BYU Splash&Dash and St. George, the Woman of Steel Triathlon in American Fork was next on the list. I was glad to be able to sleep in my own bed.

But even better: my sister-in-law, Brenda, and good friend, Jessica, were in for the fun as well. It was their first triathlon and they did awesome!


Lots of good competition (Alli, Caprice, Bri, Jana) was there, which made for fun pre-race chatter. I love racing with these girls. They make it so fun!

As you can tell, they also make it hard and fast. Alli and Caprice were trying to hunt me down but, luckily, the finish was too close.


Jessica and I in the finish area. Usually, I don't like this place because it stinks and is too crowded. Not this time. It was so nice not to have any men racing. Really. For a lot of reasons.


Two weeks later, it was time for the Salem Spring Triathlon


Did I mention I also got a new wetsuit from SLRC? It is a BlueSeventy Helix and way awesome! I love being on the Salt Lake Running Company team. Thanks so much for hooking me up with all this great gear.

It was my first open-water race in a long time. I had almost forgotten how much I love it. It is so much fun. Although the new wetsuit still makes me look like a walrus, it felt really nice in the water and helped me get out in first place.


Toward the end of the run, Travis, the race director, waited for me on a scooter and led me to the finish honking and yelling: "First woman!" That was super fun and made me feel really special. Little did I know that the second woman was only 10 seconds behind me and catching up. But either way, I ran about as fast as I could.


Jessica, Kathy, and I after the race. Thanks, ladies, for all the great fun and for wearing the SLRC company tops. A little extra advertising can never hurt. Thanks also to Jessica's sister for the pictures. Karl, of course, was way too busy with the boys and cheering to take any.


This was the first time I ever got to spray bubbly stuff at an award ceremony. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing but it sure was fun. Don't ask me why I got a blow-up tiger but Noah fell in love with it and took it to bed that night. Then it broke. Sad.


That is it so far. Next race is on June 20th and we will be swimming in Utah Lake. I can't decide if that is just plain gross or if I should swim in there regularly since it is so close, or both. What do you think?

7 comments:

WARNERS said...

From my experience, just plain gross - but you are tougher than me so, I'm sure you can get over it and utilize the water to your advantage. So fun to read about your racing adventures. You look awesome. I love the picture of you spraying the bubblies! We are missing you!!!!!!! thanks for your fun post. I hope you'll do it for all your races. I love hearing about them.

JessWilson said...

You're amazing Sarah! I agree that I hope you'll update for all your races because I love to read about them! Also, Thanks for getting me into triathlons....my mom, sister and even grandma have all talked about doing the Woman of Steel with me next year.

As for swimming in Utah Lake, I definitely would prefer Salem Pond any day but at least the lake is close enough to practice. Just take your vitamins and you'll be fine. ;) Good Luck!

jaredandgina said...

Oh Sarah! You are crazy as always! I love how you finish first in all your races and yet you still think you can do better!! What is better than first? You are so funny! Someday I will do a mini-triathlon in your honor since you have always inspired me! By the way I am coming aug 7-sept 2 are you going to be in town and if so are you planning on going to PHS 1 year reunion? I am and hope you are too, how fun to get together with everyone again!

Jamie Pearson said...

Great Job Sarah!! You are amazing! Too bad I'm not there to take pics of you racing =) that would be fun. you should just move closer I'm sure Karl could find a job out here =) No stay in Utah then I can come visit you there. I think i would rather swim in Deer Creek than the Utah lake. Good Luck on your next race and I'm amazed at all the gear you get...simply amazing or should I say spoiled but I guess that is what you get for being the top female =)

Smart Helm said...

Your shore deserve all that cool stuff!

I think that tiger is AWESOME :-)

Leslie said...

You are a star Sarah! Great job! No one deserves all that good stuff SLRCO is sending you more than you (although I am feeling a little jipped since my family owns a running store and I'm not getting hooked up anywhere close to as good as you).
I've never hated Utah Lake too badly, the worst experience was the washing machine swim at the Utah Half 2007 and tasting boat fuel on the way in - yum :)

I noticed you read Bree Wee, that's funny, so do I. I can't even remember how I found her blog.

Emily Nice said...

Sarah, YOU ROCK! I'm amazed I even know you :) I should come see you on the 20th. I've never been to Utah Lake and it doesn't look that bad...

ps good job on the bubbly, and i love the tiara!